Dofus provides both free and paid playing modes. These modes are referred to as "free to play" (F2P) and "pay to play" (P2P) modes. The free mode (F2P) is also called Discovery Mode, and the paid mode (P2P) is also called Explorer Mode.
See also: Slang
Discovery Mode is the free-to-play (F2P) mode of Dofus. Although Dofus can be played for free indefinitely, many features of the game are limited or entirely unavailable in Discovery Mode, including:
- Limited Dofus Areas: F2P players can interact with only a small portion of the entire Dofus world (approximately 3~5%), centered around Incarnam and Astrub. Although F2P players may wander through the entire Dofus world, when they are in P2P areas they cannot interact with the Monsters, NPCs or other players found in those areas.
- Limited Monsters: F2P players are limited to Monsters with a single monster's maximum level capped at 40.
- Limited Battles: F2P players are limited to 200 battles a day.
- Limited Quests: F2P quests are limited to Astrub and Incarnam quests. F2P players may acquire P2P quests in F2P areas, but they will be unable to complete them until they become P2P.
- No Pets, Petsmounts or Mounts: F2P players cannot equip Pets (except Bow Wow and Platypus), Petsmounts and Mounts, they can, however, raise them, if they can get a hold of them.
- Limited Profession Skills: F2P players' profession levels are limited to a maximum level of 60.
- Limited trading: F2P players can only buy/sell items through the means of direct exchanges and Astrub Markets (where the maximum item level is 60), they cannot use Merchants or Trade Chat.
- Cannot Create Guilds and Alliances: F2P players may join and participate in guilds and alliances, but they cannot create new guilds or alliances.
- Limited PvP: F2P players can only PvP by the means of Challenges, they cannot join an Alignment, the Kolossium or Alliance versus Alliance (AvA) PvP types.
- No Houses and Paddocks: F2P players can only buy and use Houses and Paddocks in Astrub.
- No Login Priority: F2P players are assigned low login priority when/if the Dofus Servers become full.
- No Support Priority: F2P players' tickets are assigned low priority when support is answering them.
Also known as Pay to play (P2P). Will not be subject to the above restrictions.
Rewards change every season (3 months).
The rewards structure by packs is as follows:
- 1 Week Pack: Specific Set themed Mystery Box which gives you a random item from the set
- 1 Month Pack: The full specific Set
- 3 Month Pack: The full specific Set + Tier 3 reward
- 6 Month Pack: The full specific Set + Tier 3 reward + Tier 2 reward
- 1 Year Pack: The full specific Set + Tier 3 reward + Tier 2 reward + Tier 1 reward
There will also be various other packs that may include Subscription, Ogrines, Subscription rewards and/or other rewards, so be sure to check the Dofus website.
You can buy subscriptions on a monthly basis, or buy longer periods up front for a lower price per month. There are various methods of payment, depending on your region. When paying by credit card, the monthly costs are:
- 5 EUR
- $6.90 USD
- £3.90 GBP
- $8 CAD
- 8.95 CHF
- 770 JPY
- $6.75 AUD
- R$ 14,90 BRA
When paying for a full year (12 months) subscription, the price per month is reduced to:
- 4 EUR
- $5.42 USD
- £3.08 GBP
- $6.33 CAD
- 7.08 CHF
- 616 JPY
- R$ 10,82 BRA
- $5.40 AUD